Audio (US) (file)
- (countable) A witness is somebody who saw something, especially a crime.
- The journalist spent three years interviewing survivors and witnesses.
- The hospital has born witness to countless deaths and births.
- Police took signed statements from the witnesses.
- The state has no physical evidence and no witnesses.
- (countable) (law) A witness is somebody who tells a court what they know about a situation, especially a crime.
- The witness testified that Simpson was ill at the time.
- Dr. Yazdi, an expert witness, explained how somebody could have used the computer without the owner knowing.
- She was the key witness for the defense at the trial.
- (transitive) If you witness something, you see it.
- She spoke of the terrible events she witnesses during the war.
- She witnessed some terrible events during the war.
- (transitive) If something witnesses something, it experiences it.