Jump to navigation Jump to search
- You use um to show that you are thinking and not ready to speak.
- We were prepared, um, in our minds, in our heart, for -- for whatever.
- What she did isn't so, um, nice.
- You use um to show that you doubt or are not sure about something somebody said.
- Um, I don't think that works.
- What? Um, okay. Sure, I guess. I'll tell her.
- You use um with a falling tone to show that you agree.
- Synonym: mmm
- "How does Tuesday sound?" "Um, sure. Sounds good!"
- You use um to get somebody's attention.
- Um, excuse me! Are you busy?
- You use um to bring attention to something that just happened or that was just said.
- Um, did you just call me "stupid"?