Thereby is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
Audio (US) (file)
- (formal) You use thereby to say why or how something happened: in that way.
- He pulled it closer to him, thereby making it far easier to get up.
- Food product quality is more easily maintained thereby reducing spoilage losses.
- Water reflects less light than ice, thereby allowing the oceans to absorb more heat from the sun.
- I'm concerned by attempts to limit this right and thereby to limit our freedom.
- Having missed the first bit, he listened closely to catch the rest, hoping thereby to reply sensibly.
- This change would prevent the team (and thereby the school) from advancing.