Theme is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
Audio (US) (file)
- (countable) A theme is a general idea that runs through a conversation, story, group of images, piece of music, etc.
- For Mr Giuliani, crime is a main campaign theme.
- The topic did not seem related to the main themes of his studies.
- The American novel focusses on themes of male companionship and confrontation with death.
- They became a household name in 1982 with the theme music for the hit TV series, "Harry's Game".