Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (countable) If you tell a joke, you say something to make people laugh.
- Trevor's joke about the boring lexicographer was too funny.
- If something is a joke, it is not considered seriously.
- Don't listen to Joseph. He's a joke. Nobody pays any attention to him.
- (intransitive) When you joke about something, you say something funny that you don't really mean.
- Everyone joked about how bad his tennis was.
- I wasn't joking about burning my shoes.
- Because I have a dog, I joke with my friends about their boring cats.
- The coach joked that he would fire his whole team.
- (intransitive) You say "you must be joking" when somebody tells you something that's very hard to believe.
- "She's forty three." "Forty three?! You must be joking. She looks like she's sixteen."