Jump to navigation Jump to search
Index is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
Audio (US) (file)
- (countable) An index is an alphabetical (A to Z) list, usually at the back of a book, where you can find the pages in a book that talk about particular things or words.
- Look in the index to see where they talk about Chomsky.
- (countable) An index shows the level of prices, wages, etc. so you can compare them with those of an earlier date.
- On Wall Street, the Dow Jones index closed 10 points up at 2,731.23.
- (transitive) If you index something, you make an index for it.
- (transitive) If you index something to a certain price level, you make it go up or down with that level.