Impose is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive) If you impose something on someone, you force it on them, even if they don't want it.
- Egypt has imposed travel restrictions which will make it harder to enter the country.
- The law imposes a duty on all employers to provide safety training.
- (intransitive) If you impose on someone, you ask or expect them to do something for you that is difficult or inconvenient.
- Could we impose on you to explain that again more slowly?
- I'd like to visit her, but I don't want to impose.
- imposing (adj.)