- (countable) A guard is a person or a group of people who watch something and try to stop anything bad from happening to it.
- After leaving the police he worked as a security guard at an airport.
- The inmate was beaten by a prison guard while other guards watched.
- (countable) A guard is something that is a barrier between you and something dangerous.
- You push a button and a guard comes down to keep your hands out of the machine while it works.
- (countable) A guard is a position on a basketball team who moves the ball to help their team gain points
- (countable) A guard is an offensive position in American football who plays either side of the center.
- (transitive) If you guard something, you watch it and try to stop anything bad from happening to it.
- The front gate guarded by Iraqi soldiers.