Guarantee is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable) A guarantee is a formal promise that a product will be fixed or replaced or money will be repaid if it breaks or doesn't work.
- The phone is covered by a six-month guarantee on parts and labour.
- (countable) A guarantee is a formal promise that something will happen or be done.
- The builders will now give performance and completion guarantees and will cover the costs of any problems.
- Constitutional guarantees of freedom of speech are common in democracies.
- The plan only operates for five years, with no guarantee of continuation.
- (transitive) If you guarantee something, you promise to fixed or replace it or repay money if it breaks or doesn't work.
- All of our products are guaranteed against defects in materials and workmanship for 3yrs from date of purchase.
- (transitive) If you guarantee something, you make a formal promise that something will happen or be done.
- the European Convention on Human Rights, guarantees the right to give and receive information.
- When you put your money with us, your savings are 100% guaranteed.
- The Americans said they could not guarantee his safety in Iraqi airspace.
- If you go fishing with me, you're almost guaranteed success.