Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- (intransitive) If something flutters, it moves unsteadily quickly right and left or up and down, often because of wind.
- She was very sleepy, but from time to time, her eyes fluttered open.
- The leaves fluttered down from the trees and around the house.
- Three bright flags fluttered in the wind.
- The wind set the leaves of the tree fluttering.
- Leaves flutter when the wind blows.
- A candle flame will flutter if the wind blows.
- (countable) A flutter is a quick movement up and down or left and right.
- (countable) A flutter is the sound of this movement.