Contradiction is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (UK) IPA: /ˌkɒntɹəˈdɪkʃən/, SAMPA: /%kQntr@"dIkS@n/
- (US) IPA: /ˌkɑːntɹəˈdɪkʃən/, SAMPA: /%kA:ntr@"dIkS@n/
- A contradiction is the act of contradicting.
- He says that he was not there that night: that was a contradiction of his previous statement.
- A contradiction is a statement which makes two (or more) claims which both cannot be true.
- There is a contradiction in saying that she is a widow who never married.