Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA (key): /kʌɪˈmɪərə/ or /kɪ-/
- (US) IPA (key): /kaɪˈmirə/ or /kaɪˈmɛrə/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Hyphenation: chi‧me‧ra
- (countable) (mythology) A fabulous creature with parts from different animals. Can be spelt chimera or chimaera.
- A griffin is a chimaera with the body of a lion and the wings and head of an eagle.
- (countable) (genetics) a chimera is an organism with genetically different cells, for example, cells from two different zygotes.
- (countable) (genetics) DNA or DNA products which have been put together from different genes or different organisms.
- (countable) (zoology) Chimaera, a cartilaginous marine fish in the order Chimaeriformes, with a blunt snout, long tail, and a spine before the first dorsal fin.