From Wiktionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search


I stumbled over the word "subordinator" in this article.

Shouldn’t that be replaced by "particle"? That’s how it’s called in the "complicated" English Wiktionary:

Real(?) subordinators are described here:

By the way, the word "subordinator", when looked up in Wikipedia, forwards to "complementizer", which looks to be something rather different again... Geke (talk) 18:43, 27 June 2010 (UTC)

There's certainly a variety of terminology out there, so it is important to remember that labels are not definitions. The concept of complementizer, as described in the wikipedia article is actually very much what is intended here. The term subordinator is inspired by the Cambridge Grammar of the English Language. The words described in the link to eslgold are traditionally called subordinating conjunctions and mostly treated here as prepositions taking clausal complements (see, for example, before). I've never seen to called a particle anywhere else, and when you look at their list of "particles", you've got to wonder what they have in mind.--Brett (talk) 02:24, 28 June 2010 (UTC)