- (countable) An outer piece of clothing that covers the upper part of the body and the arms.
- The woman wore a fur coat.
- It's cold today, so you need to wear a coat when you go outside.
- (countable) A covering of material, such as paint.
- He applied a thin coat of paint to the wood.
- (countable) The fur or feathers of an animal.
- The bear's coat was thick for the winter.
- Around the mast or bowsprit of a ship, some canvas painted with thick tar to keep water from running down the sides into the hold (now made of rubber).
- To cover with a coat (2) of some material
- A person can buy coated frying pans, which are much easier to wash up than normal ones.
- To cover as a coat (2).
- Thick paint coated the wall.
This short entry needs someone to make it better. You can help Wiktionary by .