Positive is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- If something is positive, it is good, happy, or wanted.
- A balanced diet, exercise, and a positive attitude are all things that give you a sense of well being.
- After using the new skin cream for four weeks, most women showed positive results, reporting that their skin felt smoother and softer and looked better.
- The changes in the prices were all positive.
- (not before the noun) If you are positive about something, you are sure that you are not mistaken.
- The guard at Euston was positive that on that particular day he had locked the door.
- If a test result is positive, the test found what it was testing for.
- I'm sorry, the HIV test is positive.
- (technical) A positive electrical charge is one carried by a proton.
- Attach the wire to the positive pole of the battery.
- A positive number or value is more than zero.
- A positive number multiplied by a negative number results in a negative.
- The Kelvin scale of temperature is absolute since only positive temperatures are possible.
- (psychology) A positive symptom is one where something is there that should not be. Usually this is for schizophrenia.
- His positive symptoms included hearing voices of people that were not there.
- Based on something being there or being true, in some other way.
- I tie-bleached my shirt to make a negative image, then tie-dyed it to add a positive image.
- There were negative rules, telling us what not to do, as well as positive ones telling us what to do.
Related words [change]
- (countable) A positive is a good thing or part of something.
- It's been a bad week, but at least the sun is one positive.