See also a lot
- (countable) A lot of something is a large amount of it.
- I have a lot of things to say.
- He caused lots of trouble.
- (countable) To a large degree
- Synonym: much
- Running is lots more fun when the weather is cool.
- (countable) Often
- He used to come here a lot, but he doesn't anymore.
- (countable) A lot is a piece of land, usually small.
- They are constructing a building on this lot.
- In the sense of a large amount of something, lot is number transparent. In other words, it looks singular, but when it is the subject of a sentence, the verb should agree with the number of whatever is being talked about.
- A lot of water is running. (water is singular, so choose is)
- A lot of people are running. (people is plural, so choose are)
- Lots of water is running. (water is singular, so choose is)
- Lots of people are running. (people is plural, so choose are)