Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from Wiktionary:CLEANUP)
Cleanup on Simple English Wiktionary is done to make sure entries here follow the correct layout and formatting. Cleanup is also done to make sure each entry has correct information. Cleanup can mean correcting spelling, fixing the layout of an entry, reverting vandalism and doing other small edits to help improve Simple English Wiktionary. Wiktionary editors work very hard to make a dictionary and cleanup is very helpful for this dictionary.
How can I help?[change]
You don't have to be an administrator to be able to help out. There are some categories which are filled up with pages that need to be cleaned up (e.g. Category:Pages in need of cleanup). Here are a few simple steps to cleanup entries on Simple English Wiktionary:
- Choose a cleanup category from Category:Wiktionary maintenance.
- Click on Change at the top of the page.
- Make the corresponding changes that need to be made. For example, at Category:Example stubs, the aim is to add more example sentences in the entries that are in this category.
- Remember, simple edits can also lead to mistakes if they are not previewed. Make sure you click Show preview before you save your changes.
- Make sure you put in an edit summary to justify your changes in the wide text box.
- Most of the time, cleanup edits are minor so tick the box saying This is a small change.
- If you are absolutely sure about your edits, click Publish changes.
What is not cleanup?[change]
- Removal of whitespace/addition of whitespace - this is considered insignificant and does not help the dictionary. Do not add whitespace or remove whitespace. It is considered disruptive.
- Vandalism - Do not vandalise Wiktionary. It is not cleanup and it is not funny. Repeated vandalism will lead to a block without warning.
- Unnecessary removal of content - Remember cleanup does not mean cleaning up an entry by removing all the content from it. This is another type of vandalism.