From Wiktionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search

I see this:

(transitive verb); (vulgar); (slang) You say "fuck you" or "fuck that" to show that
you are very angry or that you don't care.

...listed under verb -- it is being treated much like a grammatical verb, but I think this should be under interjection. When used this way its acting more as an interjection, and does not mean anything is actually to be done. --Jared 19:58, 8 November 2008 (UTC)

You're confusing the category of the words (verb/interjection) with that pragmatic role of the utterance. An interjection is a word that doesn't combine with other words in phrases or clauses. The above examples have fuck as a verb and you or that as its object. Interjections do not license objects, so this could not be an interjection.--Brett 01:19, 9 November 2008 (UTC)
I suppose you're right to a point. However, it seems that the whole phrase / sentence has become one big interjection at this point. Still, after have thought of it I concluded this really is the right place for it, since people not knowing exactly what it meant would look it up as a verb. (Of course, someone who did know either would not look it up or would already know how to use it.) So for plain practical use of the page it belongs here. --Jared 03:46, 9 November 2008 (UTC)