under is part of the Basic English 850.
- (UK) IPA: /ˈʌn.də(ɹ)/, SAMPA: /"Vn.d@(r\)/
- (US) IPA: /ˈʌn.dɚ/, SAMPA: /"Vn.d@`/
- Audio (US)help, file
- In the same place as another thing, but lower.
- They ate under the trees.
- In the control of.
- He was under the leader of the organization.
- In the middle of a process; experiencing.
- The idea is under the committee's judgement (judging).
- (in a position below) below, underneath, on the bottom of, beneath, inferior, lower
- (below the supervision of) subordinate, inferior
- (experiencing) experiencing, undergoing
Related words [change]
- Down Under
- under construction
- under the radar