Stress is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable & uncountable) Stress is emotional pressure that makes you worry because things are not going well.
- Death is a time of great stress for family and friends.
- Plants under stress from lack of water or disease are the most likely to attract problem insects.
- (countable & uncountable) Stress is physical pressure that gradually can cause things to break
- Sitting puts an unnatural stress on the back and shortens the neck.
- (uncountable) Stress is extra attention or importance that you put on something.
- Psychology has put a lot of stress on the childhood roots of adult problems.
- (countable & uncountable) Stress is extra loudness that you use in a word or in music.
- Put more stress on the first syllable of the word.
- (transitive) If you stress something, you say that it is very important.
- I have repeatedly stressed the importance of hard work, but luck is also helpful.
- (transitive) If you stress a word, part of a word, or a note in music, you make it louder than other words or notes.