Primary is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (UK) IPA: /ˈpraɪməri/, SAMPA: /"praIm@ri/
- (US) enPR: prīʹmĕr-ē, IPA: /ˈpraɪmɛri/, SAMPA: /"praImEri/ or enPR: prīʹmə-rē, IPA: /ˈpraɪməri/, SAMPA: /"praIm@ri/
Audio (US) (file)
- (usually before the noun) First.
- Primary education covers infant schooling from the ages of 5–7 or 8, then junior schooling concluding at the ages of 10 or 11.
- Most patients are managed in primary care but the vast majority of research publications derive from hospitals.
- (usually before the noun) most important
- The company had shops in buildings whose primary purpose was as office space.