- Something having structure or form.
- The chorus boys and girls were put through a variety of formations in the new Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.
- The band members created many interesting formations during half-time.
- The act of building a group or structure.
- (geology) A rock or face of a mountain.
- (military) A grouping of military units or smaller formations under a command, such as a brigade, division, wing, etc.
- (military) An arrangement of moving troops, ships, or aircraft, such as a wedge, line abreast, or echelon. Often "in formation".
- The process of influencing or guiding a person to a deeper understanding of a particular vocation.