Other spellings [change]
- (uncountable) Defence is the process of protecting.
- The secretary of defence met with the president at the White House.
- Airplanes attacked the Ministry of Defence in Tehran.
- Clinton's lawyers will lay out his defence next week.
- Police officers can only shoot in self defence or to protect another person's life.
- When he was accused, his friends and even some people who have never met him rushed to his defence.
- (uncountable), (law) In a court case, the defence is the person who was accused of a crime together with their lawyer.
- His defence lawyers say that Honecker did not shoot the gun.
- (countable & uncountable), (sports) The defence is the players who are supposed to stop the other team from scoring points.
- I wasn't very satisfied with the play of our offense, but our defence played great.