Compensation is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (uncountable) Compensation is money, or something of value, given to somebody who has lost something or been harmed.
- He was ordered to pay £600 compensation after being found guilty of assault.
- They are asking for compensation for the damage to their car.
- After the injury, Worker's Compensation began sending him a weekly cheque.
- If I'm hurt an accident that is not my fault, I would ask for compensation for damafes.
- (uncountable); (US) Compensation is everything that a company gives to someone for doing their job, including money, company car, stocks, etc.
- My compensation package at the old job was better, but I enjoy it more here.